Penny Hartin, attuale amministratore delegato (CEO) dell’Unione Mondiale dei Ciechi “World Blind Union” (WBU), prossimamente si ritirerà dagli impegni lavorativi. La WBU ha pertanto dato inizio a un processo di selezione per individuare un sostituto che verrà assunto tra la metà e la fine del 2018.
La sede lavorativa è a Toronto, Ontario, Canada, presso gli uffici della WBU.
La WBU è particolarmente interessata a ricevere candidature di persone non vedenti e ipovedenti che siano in possesso di ottima conoscenza scritta e parlata della lingua inglese.
L’ulteriore conoscenza di una o di entrambe le altre lingue usate dalla WBU, francese e spagnolo, sarà considerata un elemento preferenziale.
La candidatura deve essere presentata in lingua inglese, corredata del proprio dettagliato curriculum vitae e accompagnata da una “lettera di candidatura” che metta in evidenza l’interesse e l’idoneità per il ruolo da svolgere, includendo anche i nomi e i contatti di almeno tre persone in grado di fornire specifiche referenze.
Le caratteristiche e i requisiti richiesti per il ruolo, sono indicati di seguito in dettaglio.
Chi fosse interessato, entro il 1° agosto 2017, dovrà spedire la proposta di candidatura al presidente WBU Fredric K. Schroeder, all’indirizzo
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, WORLD BLIND UNION
(Application deadline – August 1, 2017)
The World Blind Union (WBU) is an international not-for-profit, charitable organization representing the estimated 285 million people who are blind or have low vision worldwide. The WBU is recognized as the international voice of blind and partially sighted persons speaking on their behalf at the United Nations, UN Agencies and other international organizations.
Its mission is achieved with and through its members – organizations of blind and partially sighted persons and organizations providing services to blind and partially sighted persons in over 190 countries and through six Regional Unions. The six WBU Regions are: Africa, Asia, East Asia/Pacific, Europe, Latin America and North America/Caribbean.
WBU’s vision is that “People who are blind or partially sighted can participate fully in any aspect of life we choose”. This is achieved through work in our four strategic priorities of: Human Rights & Representation; Capacity Building; Accessibility (Information, Technology & Environment); and Resource Sharing and Collaboration.
The World Blind Union is seeking a Chief Executive Officer who will replace the incumbent CEO upon her retirement. The position is based at WBU’s international headquarters located in Toronto, Ontario Canada
Reporting directly to the President of the World Blind Union, the CEO will have the following responsibilities and requirements:
• The CEO shall be responsible for the overall operational and financial management of the WBU including human resources, budgeting, monitoring and reporting on financial performance.
• The CEO shall manage and monitor the legal requirements of the WBU Corporation in Canada, ensuring compliance with bylaws, remittal of required reporting and the like.
• The CEO shall be responsible for supporting and communicating with the WBU Officers, Executive and its committees and arranging for their meetings.
• The CEO shall provide organizational, planning and implementation support for the WBU quadrennial General Assembly of members.
• The CEO shall maintain ongoing contact with the President, the Officers and the Regional Unions of the WBU, providing support and advice as required.
• The CEO shall support the WBU Strategic Planning process, providing advice and support to the priority and objective leaders as required and supporting the development and monitoring of the quadrennial workplan.
• The CEO shall develop and manage project proposals and support resource generation initiatives in cooperation with the Officers and the Resource Generation Committee.
• The CEO shall be responsible for the membership of the WBU in cooperation with the Secretary General.
• The CEO shall ensure adherence to all WBU policies, positions and procedures as well as the provisions of the WBU Constitution and will provide advice and input regarding these as appropriate.
• The CEO shall be responsible for the coordination of all aspects of communications, including publications, social media and the WBU website, ensuring that communications to the membership and the public are provided in the WBU’s three working languages of English, French and Spanish.
• The CEO shall liaise with external partners and represent the WBU as appropriate and as requested.
• The CEO shall perform those other such duties as deemed appropriate and delegated by the Assembly, the Executive and the President from time to time.
• Post-secondary education in a related field.
• At least five years relevant management experience.
• Must have extensive experience related to blindness or low vision.
• Must have an ability to travel independently at the international level and with reasonable frequency.
• Must be an independent worker who can work to the President’s requirements taking advice as well as providing advice.
• Can demonstrate organizational, administrative and financial expertise at a senior management level.
• Can demonstrate experience in leading and mentoring staff, including those who may be located in other parts of the world.
• Can demonstrate skills in research, information collection and presentation in both written and verbal form.
• Can demonstrate experience and understanding of the disability sector environment and the ways in which a world-wide movement operates.
• Can demonstrate a sound knowledge of blindness issues emanating from different cultures, income levels and geographic locations.
• Can demonstrate experience in working with governance boards and committees.
• Project management experience.
• Experience in strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation.
• Is comfortable both with providing high level direction and support as well as hands-on implementation and delivery.
• Fluent English oral and written skills are essential; skills in one or both of WBU’s other working languages of French and Spanish are an asset.
Applicants should include a detailed curriculum vitae; the names and contact details of three (3) referees (which will only be contacted if the applicant is being considered for an interview and he/she will be notified of this in advance). We also request a letter of candidature indicating interest in and suitability for the position. All applications must be submitted in English and must be submitted electronically in MS Word format only. Applications that have inaccessible attachments will be rejected.
People living with blindness or partial sight are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications should be directed to:
Dr. Fredric K Schroeder
President, World Blind Union
Application Deadline: August 1, 2017
Start Date: To be negotiated
Note: A detailed position description can be requested by interested candidates from the CEO of WBU at firstname.lastname@example.org